2/26/08

Upholstery project : Completed

The original chair:



In progress:



In progress, feeling more hopeful about finishing:



The completed project - 3 variations:










This was my first attempt at reupholstery, and I don't think it turned out half bad for an amateur.

I first had to completely take apart the chair, which was easily three-quarters of the project. Sanding and staining the wood trim/legs didn't take too long, then attaching the new fabric and sewing covers for the loose cushions was the fun part!

The greatest aspect of this chair is the square sides. I decided since the shape was so simplistic, it would be clever to use it to my advantage and create detachable panels for the 3 sides, so I can change the fabric whenever I want. This was easily done by attaching velcro to the sides of the chair, then also to fabric-covered plywood which I can easily swap out at will whenever my mood or decor changes.

I enjoy the design*sponge blog and am excited to see what everyone else enters into the contest.
Post a Comment